Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Simplicity 3486

This is the dress I finished last night:

I used Simplicity 3486, a vintage pattern from the late 50's/early 60's. It came together easily, even with the box pleats and pocket (I'd never made a pocket before.) I messed up on some of the pleats in front, and there's one missing on the right side, where I'm going to add a larger pocket to correspond to the breast pocket. I haven't decided yet how or if I'm going to hem or roll the sleeves, as they're meant to be much shorter.
The waist is tight, the button placement is good and I'm really pleased with the overall result. The broadcloth I used is a little thin, but I really enjoy the color. It only took me two days from start to finish and I'm really excited to wear it around. I found some great vintage-looking buttons which really completed the look for me.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this one. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your so lucky to be able to wear yellow, it's my favourite colour but washes me out completely.... this dress looks fabulous, like one of those ones from the 50's that you would monogram the pocket of and serve burgers on rollerskates.

    ReplyDelete